First Visit Expectations
- Print and fill out New Patient and HIPAA Forms.
- Avoid caffeine – it prevents you from relaxing.
- Eat something – it prevents hunger pangs during the treatment.
- Wear comfortable clothing or bring a change of comfortable clothes.
- Bring a favorite eye mask, pillow or blanket from home.
- If you haven’t already printed and filled out the forms, please arrive 15 minutes early and the receptionist will hand you forms to fill out in the waiting room.
- If you printed out the forms and already filled them out, arrive 5 minutes early.
- Sit with the acupuncturist for the initial consultation.
- Pick up earplugs at front desk.
- Turn off your cell phone and remove loud jewelry/keys.
- Use the restroom and change into comfortable clothes, as appropriate.
- Enter the appropriate treatment room and either sit or lie down.
- Quietly remove your shoes and socks and along with your bag or purse place them in the basket near you.
- Roll up your pant legs and sleeves and quietly relax until your acupuncturist meets you.
- Relax as our Acupuncturist inserts needles.
- If the experience, at any time is uncomfortable, simply make eye contact with your acupuncturist who will assist in maximizing your comfort in order for you to have deep relaxation and rest.
- In an hour or less, our Acupuncturist will remove the needles.
- Collect your things and quietly leave the treatment room.
- In the reception area, collect your New Patient Treatment Plan, pick up your herbs (if applicable) and pay at the front desk (remember that initial consultations add $15 to the total).
- Take it easy.
- Drink lots of water.
- Moderation in activities.
WHAT TO EXPECT THE REST OF THE DAY
- Temporary sensations where needles were placed.
- Immediate, total or partial relief from pain or other symptoms.
- Sometimes a change in appetite, sleep, bowel or urinary patterns.
- A deep sense of relaxation or a sudden burst of energy.
- An overall sense of calm.
Sometimes, unpleasant symptoms may worsen for 24-48 hours before they get better. This does not mean that the acupuncture did not work, but rather that your body is working hard to realign itself to its natural state. Because there may be several daily elements in your life that are working against this process – like stress and a harmful diet – we ask that you have patience, be consistent, and most importantly, that you listen to your body.